When Life Gives You Lemons…

7 Aug

Look at the size of this sucker!

Yesterday, I had a very sore throat, so I thought I’d make myself a hot toddy with tea, honey, lemon, and Captain Morgan’s 100 Proof Spice Rum.  Ahem, did I mention I had a VERY sore throat? I had all the ingredients except the lemon. I dragged my sick butt and more sore throat to the grocery store for one lousy lemon.  Actually, I drove to Walmart. Believe it or not, they only sold lemons by the bag.  Funny, I remember they used to be 5 or 10 cents each – now I had to buy a whole freakin’ bag?!!

Thankfully, the produce guy just took one out of the bag and I was able to buy one lemon for a whopping 25 cents.  Damn, inflation is a son-of-a-gun.  Maybe that one lemon costs 25 cents because it was so huge.  Take a look at it. I couldn’t resist snapping a picture.  It’s like this thing is on Miracle-Gro!

This got me to thinking about how to incorporate food into romance novels.  Don’t ask me how my thoughts wandered in that direction. My mind is convoluted with disgusting thoughts sometimes – you don’t even want to try to figure out what I’m thinking. At any rate, I want to know what books or movies do you remember primarily because they had scenes that dealt with food? I’ve listed some below. Please feel free to add to the list, whether you’re a writer or a reader.

MOVIES

• 9 1/2 Weeks (I don’t even know what it was about. I just remember Kim Basinger and Mickey Rourke eating off each other)
  • Chocolat (Never saw it, but any movie with Johnny Depp is going to be weird)
  • When Harry Met Sally (Okay, you know I’m thinking of Meg Ryan in the restaurant getting her big “O” on)

BOOKS

• Romancing the Chef – Robyn Amos (Great book, by the way)
  • Beauty and the Feast – Julia Barrett
  • Taste of Desire – Kayla Perrin
  • Just One Taste – Celeste Norfleet
  • In Her Wildest Dreams – Farrah Rochon
  • What Love Tastes Like – Zuri Day
  • Cooking with Sin – Koko Brown
  • The Bride Wore Chocolate – Shirley Jump
Advertisements

15 Responses to “When Life Gives You Lemons…”

1. yvettehines August 7, 2012 at 10:28 am #

I’m an author and typically have food in my stories and give it a lot of thought whether or not I’m just having them dining out or if food is playing a more sensual role. However, Beverly Jenkins is a HUGE foodie when it comes to her stories. I mean, this woman can turn an orange into something romantic, sensual and sweet. In all of her books I wait to see what she will come up with next.

• chantarandblog August 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

I mean really, isn’t it enough that Bev has the talent to paint such vivid pictures in words for us? Now, she has to be an expert with food too? Is there anything this woman can’t do? LOL! I like it when food plays a sensual role. I’m going to have to check out some of your books too, Yvette. Thanks for sharing!

2. Cecelia Dowdy August 7, 2012 at 10:44 am #

I use food in my novels a lot,although, not in a particularly sexual way since I write inspirationals. I’ve had several people to tell me that reading my novels makes them hungry! 🙂

Great blog post! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the great pic of the lemon!

• chantarandblog August 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Thanks Ceceila. I’m going to have to check out some of your books. There’s nothing I love better than reading and eating!

3. Delaney Diamond August 7, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Maureen Smith had a couple: Tempt Me at Midnight, Recipe for Temptation.
    Candace Shaw’s debut novel Cooking Up Love also has a cooking theme.
    Movies: Tortilla Soup, Soul Food, Ratatouille (animated movie about a cooking rat)

• chantarandblog August 7, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

Of course, how could I forget Recipe for Temptation? I really enjoyed that book. And I loved Ratatouille. A few months ago, I caught my son (who is 14) watching that. I teased him and told him he’s too OLD for that movie. But I guess it’s better than catching him watching 9 1/2 Weeks!

4. Angeline M. Bishop August 7, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

Hey, don’t forget ‘Eat, Pray Love’ (book & movie) dealt with food.

• chantarandblog August 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

Yes, that was a good one that I’d forgotten too. You guys are on top of your game today!

5. beachchairandabook August 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

I saw Chocolat; but what I remember most is the spark between him and the female lead when he asked if she wanted him to get that squeak out of her door 🙂

• chantarandblog August 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

LOL! If that ain’t symbolism, I don’t know what is! Love it.

6. vannieryanes August 7, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Chanta, I have a few movies to add to the list:

Like Water for Chocolate
    Babette’s Feast
    Sideyways (more about wine than food)

• chantarandblog August 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Vannie, I’d never heard of Sideways, however I do remember Babette’s Feast. Didn’t see it, but the name stuck out for me.

7. shawnlpn1 August 7, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

Under The Tuscan Sun was a favorite of mine. I loved the scene when the heoine cooked dinner for all of the workmen repairing he villa. Then there was a novel called Legend by Jude Devereaux that I loved! I’ve never used food in my own books though. Not much of a cook.

8. shawnlpn1 August 7, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Legend by Jude Devereux was a good novel that had a food theme. I loved it! I also enjoyed Under the Tuscan Sun and Spellbound. I’ve never used food much in my books, I’m a horrible cook.

• chantarandblog August 7, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

OOh, I forgot about Under the Tuscan Sun. I can’t believe I haven’t read Legend. Jude is a favorite author of mine. And I’m with you on the cooking. If I didn’t have kids, I’d make grilled cheese sandwiches every night!